By volunteering around 10 hours for the entire 2016-2017 academic year (September – April), EMP mentors can expect to positively impact students and watch with gratification as their student mentee reaches new heights. Many of the mentoring relationships that were formed in the previous years are an ongoing testament to the quality of the experience that UBC’s Executive Mentorship Program strives for.
What brings you here today? Professional with at least 5 years working experience, with concern for student success, an interest in supporting Sauder, a passion for teaching and mentoring, or even simply wanting to connect with students and meet new people. We want to meet you and explore our fit together, connect with us here.
The Executive Mentorship Program pairs each mentor with an undergraduate student from UBC Sauder School of Business who is eager to learn about the business world and keen to gain invaluable career and education guidance. Every effort will be made to match student mentees with mentors who are working in their area of study.
Mentoring pairs will be matched in early October and will meet and set goals for the year at the Kick-off Breakfast. During the year, mentors and mentees will arrange to meet for monthly one-on-one sessions or as often as desired. Some suggestions for sessions are as follows:
- Casual Lunch or Coffee
- Mock Interview
- Job Shadowing
- Other personal development sessions
In addition, EMP will hold a few special events for mentors and mentees to get together as well as to meet other professionals with diverse career backgrounds and students who are willing to learn and gain insights from different mentors. Mentoring pairs will celebrate their year and completion of the program at the Year-End Social.
What will you gain as a Mentor?
- Refreshing interaction with outstanding students who are tomorrows entrepreneurs and employees
- Opportunity to network with other prominent members of the business community
- Insight on how your company interacts with the undergraduate market segment
- Chance to make a lasting impact on a students life and watch with pride as the student grows and excels
- Opportunity to give back to the Sauder School of Business and UBC
Being a mentor will only require approximately 10 hours for the academic year (September – April)
- Kick-Off Breakfast on Wednesday, October 10, 2017 (7:00 – 9:00 am)
- Industry Night on November 2017
- Sharing Circle on January 2018
- Year-End Social on March 2018
- At least 3 one-on-one sessions with your mentee