Do you leave networking events empty-handed except for a stack of meaningless business cards? Do you sometimes wonder if classroom knowledge is prepping you for the reality of the business world? EMP continues to offer exceptional Sauder students the unique opportunity of being paired with industry professionals as their mentors. With years of experience and wisdom, our mentors not only help their mentees prepare for their immediate next steps but also provide direction for the long and confusing road ahead.
How the Program Works
Each year, approximately 60 Sauder students are paired up with prominent members of the Vancouver business community. This year, we are aiming to recruit 70 to 75 Sauder students as our mentees. Mentoring pairs are primarily matched according to the student’s option and the mentor’s area of specialty.
During the year, mentors and mentees are expected to meet once a month for at least three one-on-one sessions (i.e. the pairs need to meet at least during the months of November, January and February). Some suggestions for sessions are as follows:
- Casual Lunch
- Coffee Chat
- Mock Interview
- Job Shadowing
- Attending a company reception together
- Other personal development sessions
Mentees in our program can expect to be paired with an experienced professional in the business community, most likely in their option of study. Over the entire 2016/17 academic year, mentees will be given the opportunity to connect with their mentors over a series of one-to-one meetings and annual events hosted by our student leadership team. Whether you choose to take on a more formal or casual interaction with your mentor, it’s all up to you and there is room for creativity and fun. What we are looking for are promising junior students and senior students with a great attitude, and are are willing to set and follow through with their goals and action plans. Our program used to focus on third and fourth year Sauder students who have clearer career vision compared to junior students; however, from this year, we would like to encourage first and second year Sauder students to apply. At core, we hope to bring in students that will really enjoy the opportunities presented to them by our program.
What will you gain as a Mentee?
- The opportunity to build lasting relationships in the business world and gain everyday networking skills
- Personalized career and education guidance in your area of study or interest
- An inside perspective of your mentor’s industry
- Knowledge to maximize opportunities and avoid potential pitfalls
- Confidence and the opportunity to step out of the textbooks and into the real world!
- Mentee Orientation on Thursday, October 4, 2017
- Kick-Off Breakfast on Wednesday, October 10, 2017 (7:00 – 9:00 am)
- Industry Night on November 2017
- Sharing Circle on January 2018
- Year-End Social on March 2018
- At least 3 one-on-one meetings with your mentor
Attendance to the events and meetings listed above is mandatory.